For many, the pandemic meant suddenly adjusting to new working arrangements. Some of us are working at home for the first time, others find themselves sharing established remote working spaces with various household members. Many are juggling multiple roles and/or supporting remote learning. All of this occurred in the context of uncertainty and disruption. A year on, many in the Parlour community are yet to return to their pre-pandemic working arrangements.
So how are people managing? Where are they working from? What are the struggles and where do we find moments of invention and generosity?
Our Home / Work series asks the Parlour community to share stories of Home / Work – What is your working-from-home space like? What do you do there? What are the challenges and what benefits have you found so far? Do you have tips, strategies and suggestions to share with others?
Home / Work questions
Please respond to the questions that are relevant to you.
- What is your work-from-home space like?
Please describe it briefly, for example – What is its character? Where is it located? How does it connect to the rest of the house? What does it have in it? Is it a shared space or yours alone? How have you assembled this workspace? Was it carefully planned or hastily put together, or something in between? What have you done to make it comfortable and accommodating? What can you see from your workspace?
- What work do you do here?
- Did you work from home pre-COVID-19? If so, how has the experience of remote working changed with the pandemic?
- Have your working arrangements changed over the course of the pandemic?
- Have there been benefits to working from home? Can you describe them?
- What have been the biggest challenges so far?
- What has been surprising? (either positive or negative)
- Have you discovered any tools (technological or otherwise) that have been particularly useful for remote working?
- Do you have any tips for creating successful working relationships remotely? With colleagues, clients and others?
- How are you managing the work/life juggle, and all the competing demands?
- How are you staying connected with work, friends and family?
- What strategies are you using to switch off from work?
- What strategies are you using to lift your spirits and maintain mental wellbeing?
Please also send us an image of your work space – this could be the whole area or a detail of it, or the view from it. It would be great if you are in the shot, if you feel comfortable with this, or supply another headshot. Please include a brief bio. Email your response to us at .
We will edit and check everything with you before publishing.
Photographs: Justine Clark