Parlour is about getting involved, about working together to make a difference. To this end, we welcome input from a diverse range of contributors.
First, join the Parlour community by signing up here.
After that, there are many ways to join the discussion:
- Parlour talk: We welcome proposals for opinion pieces from a wide range of contributors. These are short, speculative, sometimes provocative pieces aimed at raising issues, responding to the research and getting us all thinking.
- Instagram guest hosting: If you are interested to guest host the Parlour Instagram account get in touch. It is easy to do – see our basic protocols here.
- News & events: Come along to one of our events. Or if you have an event you would like posted on the site do get in touch with the details. We ask for-profit companies and organisations accessing this service to make a donation to help keep the site going.
- Seasonal Salon: Come along to a Salon in your city. Casual and welcoming, the Parlour Salons aim to connect architects at different stages of their lives and careers, and build networks across areas of expertise and interest. Each salon includes a short public conversation between two people with different backgrounds and shared experiences. These public introductions set the scene for informal connections and discussions to follow. If you would like to help organise or host a Salon please get in touch.
- Building the archive: One of the Parlour opportunities is to consolidate archival material and information on women and architecture. This will help build a stronger sense of our own history, honour those who have gone before us, and make material available to future researchers. Please contribute to the various crowd-sourcing initiatives as we post them. If there is a topic you would like help sourcing material on let us know and we’ll post a request on your behalf.
- Comment: Join the conversation via the comments facility on the site – you need to sign up to be able to comment. Please do observe Parlour etiquette and keep your contributions to the point.
- Marion’s List: Add your profile to our public list of the women of Australian architecture – in doing so you will help increase the visibility of the women of Australian architecture.
- Letter to my younger self: Contribute to our series offering advice and anecdotes on navigating study and work, and balancing it with family, health travel and other pursuits.
- Research: We’re always keen to find fellow travellers. If you are working on a related research project we would love to know about it.
If you are interested to do further study of architectural practice culture, gender and architecture, equity and diversity issues in work life, or a related topic please get in touch. For new research, the first point of contact is Dr Naomi Stead. Depending on your field of interest and expertise, you may be better matched with one of our other partner institutions or researchers – check out the full list of the researchers on this project at the bottom of the research page.
Etiquette and guidelines for contributions and comment are found here.
The start up costs for establishing Parlour were funded through the Women, Work and Leadership research grant. This finished in 2015. Parlour is now an incorporated association.
Our ongoing work is supported by donors and sponsors. If you or your organisation is interested in supporting Parlour please get in touch.